Sunday, March 16, 2008

for the love of food


Banana, honey & almonds on buckwheat & rice milk pancake.


Coeliac Awareness Week 13-20 March

I love food and always have so when I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease last September and told that I could not eat any food containing Gluten for the rest of my life I was left feeling numb. Just 6 months later and after a few disasters and days going hungry, I can honestly say that I am now eating healthier food and really enjoying experimenting with cooking. While it is the end of many foods for me it is the beginning in a much bigger sense. I call it my 'rediscovery of food' - I think more about what I'm eating and the time spent preparing each meal is savored.

One of my biggest inspirations is Shauna James Ahern who celebrates all aspects of life reminding me to do the same and not get weighed down thinking about what I can't eat. Her blog also has amazing lists of resources.

For more information on Coeliac Disease visit The Ceoliac Society of Australia website.